Monday, August 26, 2019

THIRTEEN WAYS OF LOOKING AT A HURRICANE

By Ben Greenman
Apologies to Wallace Stevens and everyone.

I.
In a season of bad weather,
The only moving thing
Was the eye of the hurricane.

II.
I was of three minds
Of how to beat it,
Denial, paper towels, or nukes.

III.
The hurricane whirled over the summer ocean.
It was a large part of the weather map.

IV.
A man and a woman 
Are one.
A man and a woman and a hurricane
Are one.

V.
I do not know which to prefer
The beauty of destruction 
Or the beauty of disaster management,
The hurricane gusting
Or just after.

VI.
Streaks of rain in the window
Give the sense of shatter.
The shadow of the hurricane
Crossed it, to and fro.
The mood
Traced in the shadow
Terror and loss.

VII.
O thin men and women of meteorology,
Why do you speak about the climate?
Do you not see how the hurricane
Can be beaten by paper towels
Or by a nuclear bomb?

VIII.
I know paper towels are
The best and most absorbent;
But I know, too,
That I control the nukes.
Isn’t that exciting?

IX.
When the hurricane flew out of sight
It went as it came
In a symphony of circles.

X.
At the sight of hurricanes
Looming in a bruised light,
I tried to put
My finger on the button.

XI.
It wasn’t my first choice
Like I said before.
Once, I threw paper towels
In Puerto Rico.
People caught them
Lovingly.

XII.
The paper towels in the air
Go in a straight windless line.

XIII.
It was evening all afternoon.
The light stepped down.
And it was going to rain.
The nuke came in
Whistling its helpful song.






No comments:

Post a Comment