Saturday, May 30, 2020

THE GOOD THINGS

By Ben Greenman
from forthcoming collection, as yet untitled

I was walking uptown and saw approaching me a guy dressed as Batman, but he was fat with a gut and making coochie-coo noises to two horses he was accusing of kissing. The horses' handlers would not even look at him. He crossed in front of me and disappeared into a theater that I saw was putting on a Batman musical. Justice of the Night! For about five blocks all I passed were various shapes and sizes of people dressed as Batman. A little kid was one of them. A matronly lady  holding a smoothie was another. Eventually I stopped and talked to a tall skinny black woman dressed as Batman. She told me her kids were so proud of her for getting the job. "They knew I could do it," she said. She reached out for a hug and even though I knew the rules I went ahead and hugged her. You have to focus on the good things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment