Sunday, October 2, 2022

SPECIAL SCREENING

“I’m going to make a demand on you,” the filmmaker said to the viewers. “I’m going to force you to actively watch. The film you see today is not the same as the film that others saw yesterday or that others will see tomorrow. If you were part of the audience yesterday or plan to be part of the audience tomorrow, know that. You are being asked to reorient yourself constantly. There is an important scene in the film of a person sleeping. In some versions, that person is a man, in others a woman. This is connected in my mind to the theory, first articulated to me by Larry, that sleep is the only effective site of resistance to capitalism. It is, despite biology’s attempt to the contrary, a rather pure articulation of community and togetherness. After you watch the film today, I will ask you all to send me videos of yourself sleeping. Some will be incorporated into later versions of the film. And let me anticipate one of your questions. Yes, nudity is fine. I cannot determine for you how you should sleep. And like most other people, I like a little skin. Pause for laughter. Oh, I am sorry. I have that written down: ‘Pause for laughter.’ Let’s take the house lights down and start the film.”

©2021 Ben Greenman/Stupid Ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment