Tuesday, January 11, 2022

SITTING HERE IN REDDISH

First off let me warn you that Big Mel is a goon. He went to Goon School, goofed off, went to Goon Summer School, flunked out, went to Goon Night School, threw a rock through the trophy case, went to Goon Juvie, bungled a Grand Goon Larceny, got sent to Goon Prison. At Goon Prison his cellmate was a guy named Lawrence Killian. This Killian character, a super-Goon, stabbed a guard in the thoar, which is a small typographical error near the throat. In the chaos that followed, whoosh he was gone. No one knows where he is now. No one includes me. What am I thinking about whilst I cannot locate him? Well, the fact that last night I narrowly escaped being hit in the head by a dog. I was sitting here in Kulpsville, or Hammonton, or Reddish, or wherever the hell I live, humming "You Take the Dark Out of the Night." You know that song? It's an unreleased ballad, one of those rushing-on-my-run type things that comes into you through your stomach and ribs, releases the good kind of poison, and stays where it is until you are happily dead to the rest of life. Anyway, there I was, listening, humming, getting prepped for the step, and all of a sudden a dog jumped out of nowhere. He was airborne, ears akimbo, aimed like an arrow at my head. At the last minute I ducked. The dog kept sailing. He is probably out over the ocean by now. 

©2021 Ben Greenman/Stupid Ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment