Wednesday, December 15, 2021

PICKING THE HIPPO

They placated me. The man who patted me on the back until I could breathe right gave some money. “When it’s gone,” he said, and then winked in a way that led me to understand that there was more where that came from. Behind him on the wall were pictures of various animals. “Pick one,” he said. Ordinarily I would not have taken his suggestion, but he had been so kind to me. I perused the pictures. The dog was mangy. The snake was flaking all along its underside. The bird, labelled “potoo,” was entirely terrifying. I selected the hippopotamus. “The man folded his fingers wisely into a tent. “Good, good,” he said. “Your choice of animal is a type of code. It tells me how you will live and, more importantly, how you will die.” He handed me a brochure, along with some more money. “It’s all in here,” he said. I took it, suddenly filled with regret that I had not chosen the bird. 

©2020 Ben Greenman/Stupid Ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment